Thursday, December 15, 2005

School Reunion


The other day I had a dream I went back to visit my old high school and sat through a lesson with my old History teacher. He was without a doubt the best teacher I've ever had, in any arena. He refused to just teach us history and made a point of teaching us about freedom of speech/thought and current affairs - and he wasn't afraid to play 'devil's advocate' in order to shock us into challenging him, making all kinds of un-PC statements to rouse us. He also wasn't affraid to stand up to the school authorities - once the Chinese Government sent a delegation to our school and he stuck up a big poster in his window about Tiananmen Square - he was that full on! He could also be quite arrogant and cruel as well though - there was a bit of the Professor Snape about him. My church meets in the school so I do remember to go and pray for him from time to time. I dreamt he had become really humble and that his teaching had become more compassionate and a way better because of it.

Then I dreamt that I had a lesson with my old Drama teacher - I crashed drama in my last year, having not done it before - thinking it would be a walk over. It turned out to be the hardest thing I ever did at school but also my favorite and the only Higher I got an 'A' in. I told her I wanted to go back to school, to do these courses again.

After that I woke up and have been wondering about 'going back to school'. I've been wondering what to do next in life ... how do you find time in life to do all the dreams that sit in you? Like studying more history, getting good at acting, writing, singing, filming, leading a church... when you need to make sure you can pay bills and live ok? I'm a bit scared by these thoughts but also really like the idea of 'going back to school' - having my ways of thinking challenged and finding out what it means to live out all you care about in a really practical way that allows life to be lived and not just frustrated.

1 Comments:

At 2:45 am, Blogger Globegirl said...

i can sure relate to that last paragraph. there's not time enough to devote to all the things i'm interested in. if only i could be really good at just one of them!

for what it's worth, i say go back to school if you really long for it. you wouldn't regret going back, but you may regret not going back (or in my case, not going at all).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home